|This article needs additional information.|
North-Western Rhodesia, in south central Africa, was a territory administered from 1891 until 1911 under charter by the British South Africa Company. In 1890 the British South Africa Company signed a treaty with King Lewanika of the Barotse, the most powerful traditional ruler in the territory. The treaty did not confer protectorate status on the territory, as only the British government could confer that status. Nonetheless, the charter gave the territory protection.
The territory consisted of the western half of present-day Zambia up to the Kafue River, its border with North-Eastern Rhodesia. Later the border between the two chartered territories was moved east, but the distinction did not have any great implications. The capital was initially at Kalomo, and moved in 1907 to Livingstone.
In 1899 North-Western Rhodesia was amalgamated with Barotseland to form Barotziland-North-Western Rhodesia, an official British protectorate. Later Barotziland-North-Western Rhodesia was amalgamated with North-Eastern Rhodesia to form Northern Rhodesia, today the Republic of Zambia.
- Patrick William Forbes, Administrator, 1895-1897
- Sir Robert Codrington, Administrator, 1898-1907
- British South Africa Company
- Company rule in Rhodesia
- Rhodesia (name)
- Northern Rhodesia
- Barotziland-North-Western Rhodesia Order in Council, 1899, S.R.O. 1901 No. 567
- Commonwealth and Colonial Law by Kenneth Roberts-Wray, London, Stevens, 1966. P. 753