Zambian Defence Force
|Military of Zambia|
|2,477,494, age 15–49 (2004 est.)|
|1,310,814, age 15–49 (2004 est.)|
|NA (2004 est.)|
|Budget||$42.6 million (2003)|
|Percent of GDP||0.9% (2003)|
The Zambian Defence Force (ZDF) consists of the Zambia Army, the Air Force, and Zambian National Service (ZNS). The ZDF is designed primarily for internal defence in Zambia. Being a landlocked country, Zambia has no navy.
- 3 x brigades
- 1 x Armoured regiment composed of a Tank Battalion and 1 Armoured Reconnaissance Battalion. U.S. State Department International Military Education and Training records from FY-2006 indicate a Zambian officer attended from 64 Armoured Regiment at Mikongo Barracks, east Lusaka.
- 9 x Infantry battalions (including 3 reserve battalions)
- 1 x Artillery Regiment (1 MRL battalion and 2 Field Artillery battalions)
- 1 x Engineer Regiment
- FN FAL
- Heckler & Koch G3
- Sterling submachine gun
- PK machine gun
Vehicles and Towed Artillery
|T-54/55||Template:USSR||Main Battle Tank||25||Deliveries in 1976 and 1981.|
|BTR-70||Template:USSR||Armoured Personnel Carrier||20|
|BTR-60||Template:USSR||Armoured Personnel Carrier||13|
|WZ551||Template:CHN||Armoured Personnel Carrier||6X6 WZ551B variant.||20|
|Buffel||Template:ZAF||Armoured Personnel Carrier||Rhino variant.||1|
|Ratel||Template:ZAF||Infantry Fighting Vehicle||14|
|Ferret||United Kingdom||Armoured car||28||Inherited from Northern Rhodesian security forces.|
|BRDM-2||Template:USSR||Scout car||44||Acquired in 1981.|
|BRDM-1||Template:USSR||Scout car||44||Acquired in 1980.|
The Zambian Air Force is a small air force equipped with Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21|Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21MFs and Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-19|Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-19S in addition to a range of transport aircraft and helicopters.
- Jones, Richard D. Jane's Infantry Weapons 2009/2010. Jane's Information Group; 35 edition (January 27, 2009). ISBN 978-0-7106-2869-5.
- Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1 at line 3738: attempt to index field 'punct_skip' (a nil value).
- SA Ratels in Libya spur DA to call for investigation